<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Observations and meditations of a young teacher living in Norway

Monday, June 28, 2004

A friend's wedding 

Hello again! I’m back in business! :) It’s been a long time since I last wrote a blog text, and that’s mainly because I’ve had many things to do and because I’ve pushed the blogging into the future. But now I’m taking my time to blog again, and I hope that you all will find something of worth and something giving encouragement in this blog text of today.

As I’m writing it’s evening, but the sun is shining bright as in the day here on Vannøya where I live. When the weather is good the sun is shining both night and day, and it never gets dark this period of the year. That’s because we are privileged to have the “midnight sun” here in the North in the summer time. That means that the sun never goes down, and when the weather is sunny and you’re in the right place, you can see the sun shining by midnight. It’s a bit unusual for me, and it sometimes makes it harder to sleep at night, but all in all I like this light period of time and thinks it’s nice to be able to enjoy the sun late in the evening and in the night.

This evening I would like to focus on the last period of time and tell you about some of my experiences this period. I’ll start with what happened the weekend I travelled to Bergen a couple of weeks ago…

I came to Bergen to attend the wedding of my good friend, Hiwot and her fiancee Neftalem. They got married on Saturday, the 12th of June, and I was happy to join them in the celebration from the wedding ceremony started and until the wedding party was over in the evening. It was very fun and nice for me to attend this wedding and celebrate the wonderful marriage between the beautiful bride Hiwot and her handsome groom Neftalem. They come from Ethiopia and Eritrea, so this was an African wedding with very many guests and with some other ingredients than in Norwegian weddings. One of the differences was that there were no speeches being held during the wedding party. In stead they did something that’s not common in Norway – they played African music and let those who wanted come and dance and enjoy them selves. I also took part in the dancing some times, and I liked it. I also liked meeting people I knew and in addition getting many new acquaintances. The wedding day was filled with Christian worship, good prayers, serious promises, sharing of rings, joy and smiles, photographing, happy music, spontaneous dance, tasty African food and many other memorable ingredients. I thank God for bringing Hiwot and Neftalem together and pray that God will bless them and give them a wonderful and rich life with grace and strength from Him.

The day after the wedding of Hiwot and Neftalem I joined my brother Josef and his family and took part in the Sunday meeting in the church “Kristent Felleskap” (Christian Fellowship). It was a very good meeting, and it was good to worship God, hear His word and meet many brothers and sisters in His family. After the meeting I spent some hours playing and having fun with my sweet “auntie kids”, Jacob, Sara and Lars Benjamin. In the evening I relaxed in the home of my good brother Josef and his wife Liz. The next day I travelled back to the North of Norway, but that is another story…

And that story I have to tell another day, because now it’s getting late, and since I’m sick and have got fever today, I should go to bed soon.

Maybe I’ll be back tomorrow, and then I can tell you about some of my experiences from the last couple of weeks. Until then, have a good night everyone!

PS. My mother told me that a lady she knows in India thought I had so nice blogs. This is a little greeting to you, Brenda: Thank you for encouraging me! Have a blessed summer in India!

Ruth Kristin on Vannøya ("Water island")
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?